Friday, March 16, 2007

I know the problem. You make too many expressions!




Years ago, before we had children we used to travel a lot. On one trip, we were in Belize and went on a day trip to go snorkeling with sharks and sting rays. Frankly, I am still shocked that I did it because Jaws somewhat ruined me for open waters. Anyway, when we got into the water Dave was having trouble with his snorkel mask. Every time he went under water the seal would break and let water in and impair his vision. We figured he had a bum mask and so he swapped with the instructor but it was still happening. So the instructor told him to put his mask on and he would watch Dave go under water and see what was happening. They went under and then came up. The instructor proclaimed, "I know what the problem is. You make too many expressions!" At first we were very confused, so I went under and watched Dave too. Sure enough the instructor was right! Every time Dave went under water his eyebrows would go straight up with a look of surprise and this would break the seal on his mask and water would get in. Years later he has passed his many assorted facial expressions as well as his very expressive eyebrows to our boys. I took these photos of Derek today all with in a few seconds. Lets hope he doesn't wasn't to be a snorkel guide one day! :)

No comments: