Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Call - Part 2





So we got the call at 9:55 AM and I could not reach Dave. The next person I wanted to reach was Mommy at The Womble Times. She has been such an amazing friend to me and despite never having met her in person (which I totally plan to change), it feels as if we have know each other for ages. Possibly because adoption years are kinda like dog years!

So Mommy is like my China adoption BFF and the problem was Mommy was all the way around the world in China picking up her sweet Mei Mei! Not really a problem for her as much as me ;) We had actually joked about this happening! A Murphy's Law kind of thing! So I quick sent her an email with the title "Of course you knew this would happen!" Not a 1/2 hour later she emails me back! (Seriously, how did people go through adoptions before the internet and email?!) In the meantime, I was calling my SIL and telling her we got the call. My SIL and niece have been uber-supportive of this whole process and it has been so wonderful to share it with them. My SIL kept saying "I really think this is it! I think she is your baby!" Our niece was in the background and I could hear them oooh and ahhh as they pulled her photo up on their computer. It was fantastic!

In hind sight, I should have known we would get "the call" that day. The stage was set for "the call". First, the Rumor Queen report was that there were few children on the list and so I was completely convinced our wait would continue. My husband was unreachable. My China adoption BFF was in... well... China. And I scheduled my carpets to be cleaned that morning which meant that I would have men here moving around my furniture and obscenely loud vacuum noises in the background. Of course these same men had to shout to each other over the noise and did so in Russian... at least I think it was Russian? This in turn triggers obscenely loud noises by my dog that is mad about the vacuum and men shouting in a foreign language. And finally my 2 youngest boys sitting next to each other with their Nintendo DS's turned on full volume and shouting to each other over the rest of the noise.

Now the stage is set... Cue skype call from Mommy from The Womble Times! Picture me holding my laptop in the corner of my living room and her huddle over hers in the darkness of her hotel room in China. She is whispering because Mei Mei is asleep in the room, "Can you hear me?" and I am screaming over the cacophony of my house "Yes! Can you hear me?!" Mommy whispers to me "I think you found your baby!" And I am thinking, you know that, I know that, my SIL and niece know that... if only Dave knew it too! I guess this is one those cases where the husband is the last to know! LOL!

We are still on cloud 9!

PS In this photo are Dave and the beautiful pale blue hydrangeas he brought home in celebration of our adorable daughter!!! Plus a balloon that is hard to read but says "It's a girl!". He has promised to bring our daughter hydrangeas every year on this anniversary - September 17! What a guy!!! Next one is Evan and Ryan with the flowers and ballon.

3 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

Amazing how the those really important calls truly always come when you least expect them! Our call came with Maia's referral on a Saturday nite in the middle of my nephew's birthday party. Didn't see the one coming! I'm soooo happy for you, Cindy!! I think you've waited longer than anybody I know for a referral! I love the hydrangeas, too. What a wonderful idea!

Flamingo said...

so excited for you! what wonderful idea your hubby has! i think though with adoption i get all confused on what days to celebrate? their is the referral day, approval day, gotcha day....ect:)

each stage is darn exciting! i can't wait to hear more about her!

Mommy said...

Beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl. Can't wait to meet her!