I saw this video clip on youtube and very quickly decided I needed to visit the Rosetta Stone (company that teaches various languages online and with CD-ROMs) kiosk at our local mall! The guy there was very nice and asked if I would like a demonstration of the program. I asked if I could see the Chinese one. Two minutes into it I felt completely panicked! I had absolutely no idea what was going on...I just wasn't getting it & I kept thinking of this youtube video! So he offered to show the program to me in English (for people learning to speak English) so I could see how the program works. Instead I asked him to show me in Italian. I don't speak any Italian but immediately I could understand how the program was supposed to work and I was picking up a little Italian. Then I asked for German because I grew up in a German speaking household. Yes, this Rosetta Stone program was great, I was sure of it! I get it! Then I asked him to show me Chinese again. Again, I just couldn't get it. Here is what was making it so difficult for me. Let's say I wanted to say "The dog is under the table" in Italian. In English it takes 6 words to complete that sentence. In Italian it's around the same I guess (I'll tell you for sure when I get to that lesson! Ha!) but in Chinese it looked like a 25 word sentence. I had no idea of the breakdown of the individual words or articles. Where Italian seemed intuitive, Chinese seemed "foreign". Oh well, in the meantime, the boys and I are having fun learning Italian now but soon enough I will make the big leap to Chinese so I don't end up like the poor Dad in this video ;)
If You Liked: Super-Satisfying HEAs
5 years ago





1 comment:
We use Rosetta Stone for Spanish and LOVE it - we are considering the Chinese as well - hmmmm, maybe having second thoughts now though!!!
Post a Comment